Thursday, June 23, 2005

Some Early Summer Thoughts

1) I think I know why I’ve always regarded Spin Magazine as ersatz Rolling Stone. I’m having a very hard time with their declaring Radiohead’s “OK Computer” the best album of the last 20 years. I’ll admit it; I own this album because I connect some memories to the song “Karma Police”. Can’t say those memories come from the best period of my life, nor am I crazy about the album, but “Karma Police” does have some personal significance. I guess it’s a “bold” move on Spin’s part to praise a band that everyone loves to hate; as if they’re seeing the meaning through what many feel is a calculated and synthetic sound. Won’t matter, to me Radiohead will always remain as organic as Diet Mountain Dew.

2) I guess I’m not terribly surprised that “Cinderella Man” is dogging at the box office with a cumulative $43.9 million recorded thus far. Granted it’s competing with some heavyweights (no pun intended) like the new Batman and Star Wars movies, but I think the American public has had just one too many of these schmaltzy, nostalgic flicks pandering to Oscar’s agenda.

3) I think the harder the NBA tries to promote the league internationally, the more it’s disclosing just how disinterested people are about it at home. There’s a lot of subtext to what’s meant about “the implications of the Ron Artest incident;” stuff that nobody really wants to come out and say. But with ratings way down and nobody watching the NBA finals, some very tough questions need to be addressed about how the NBA will, if ever, deliver the type of TV audiences advertisers want.

4) I think Michelin, the French tire manufacturer, is a convenient scapegoat to the Formula One fiasco earlier this week in Indianapolis. I mean, when in doubt blame the French…right? Putting F1 on an oval track in the American Midwest is about as backwards-assed as hosting the Daytona 500 at the Nürburgring. Bad idea all the way around. Everyone just chalk this down as an expensive lesson learned and move on.

5) Seems that the most notable thing to come out of Wimbledon so far is Serena Williams smashing her racket. Well, at least that’s the New York Post’s standpoint. At least she won.

6) What is it with tornadoes always hitting trailer parks and helicopters always falling into the East River?

7) Was on the 11:07 Tuesday from Grand Central going to South Norwalk, Connecticut. Message to Jane from Rowayton: sorry that you made the early morning trip to Manhattan only to then discover that your meeting was canceled, but life’s full of these nuisances, so please get over it. I doubt your friends are overly concerned about this, and I can promise that your fellow passengers on Metro North aren’t concerned either. So next time, if you feel so compelled to use your cell phone for the entire 59 minute train ride, do it quietly, or in the doorway, or just read the newspaper. I don’t get a sense that life has dealt you that bad of a hand …thanks Jane.

8) Was also on the 11:07 Saturday from Grand Central going to Fairfield, Connecticut. Very crowded train for some reason. Couple of twenty-something’s, a guy and a girl, plow their bicycles down the busy isle while unapologetically grazing other passengers with their bikes. They find two coveted seats and stash their bikes in two other coveted seats before an elderly couple politely asks if they could move their bikes and sit down. The twenty-something’s give some flack about this, and a moment later the conductor comes to make order of this escalating matter. Voices get raised, and the conductor quickly decides to haul the bikes out to the platform and kick the twenty-something’s off the train. Way to go Mr. Conductor. The male twenty-something cowardly yells “F.U.” while the conductor has his back turned and storms off. Message to you two twenty-something’s: get over your f***ing sense of entitlement and show some courtesy. If you’re in shape enough to ride a bike, you’re in shape enough to stand with it in the doorway area. Better yet, since you have a bike, just ride the damn thing to wherever you have to go. There was nobody siding with you on that train. NOBODY!

9) Does anyone know how Quiznos, once the epitome of also-ran sandwich chains, found in Denver’s most forgotten strip malls, has planted itself in some of the most plum locations in all of New York City? Good God, they're smack-dab in the middle of St. Mark’s Place in the East Village. I mean, have their sandwiches gotten that much better? I thought for sure they’d be stuck among the lowest echelons of the fast food world; forever in the company of Chi-Chi’s, Arthur Treachers and Orange Julius. Shows what I know, but I’m still loyal to my boys at A&F Deli.

10) I think I’m having a hard time admitting how entertaining the Village People were the other night outside of Lincoln Center.

No comments: